Choose a member of GMANN to view their Bio
Dr. Smeeta Sinha
Dr Smeeta Sinha was appointed as a Consultant Nephrologist in May 2010 and was awarded her PhD Medicine from the University of Manchester in December 2010. Her PhD was entitled “The Effects of Bisphosphonates and modulation of protein prenylation on vascular calcification”. She also holds an honorary senior lecturer post at the University of Manchester.
Dr Sinha’s research interests include chronic kidney disease-mineral bone disorder, in particular vascular calcification. She is the principle investigator for the UK Calciphylaxis Study. The study is a multi-centre (74 UK renal units) observational study developed in collaboration with European colleagues (International Calciphylaxis Collaborative Network). She also supports a number of other research studies within the department.
|MBchB||The University of Manchester||2000|
|PhD Medicine||University of Manchester||2010|
- L Butler, T Brockley, D Denning, M Richardson, R Chisholm, S Sinha, R O’Driscoll. Acute Aspergillus pneumonia associated with mouldy tree bark-chippings, complicated by anti-glomerular basement membrane disease causing permanent renal failure. Medical Mycology Case Reports 2013;2:125–127
- KW Siddals, J Allen, S Sinha, AE Canfield, PA Kalra, JM Gibson. Apposite insulin-like growth factor (IGF) receptor glycosylation is critical to the maintenance of vascular smooth muscle phenotype in the presence of factors promoting osteogenic differentiation and mineralisation. J Biol Chem 2011;286(19):16623-30
- S Sinha*, D Chiu, G Peebles, P Swoboda, S Kolakkat, E Lamerton, S Bhandari, S Fenwick & PA Kalra. Accelerated total dose infusion of low molecular weight iron dextran is as safe and efficacious as standard rate infusion in patients with chronic kidney disease. QJM 2011;104(3):221–30
- H Eddington, R Hoefield, S Sinha, C Chrysochou, B Lane, RN Foley, J Hegarty, J New, DJ O'Donoghue, RJ Middleton, PA Kalra. Serum phosphate and mortality in patients with chronic kidney disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;5(12):2251–7.
- S Sinha* & PA Kalra. Treating the anaemic patient with Total Dose Infusion of iron. Why, when and how? European Journal of Clinical & Medical Oncology Feb 2010 epub
- K Taylor, S Sinha, A Cowie, C Babbs, R Reeve & PA Kalra. Challenges in diagnosing acute pancreatitis in renal transplant patients. Clinical Transplantation 2009;23(6):985-9
- S Sinha*, D Chiu, G Peebles, S Kolakkat, E Lamerton, S Fenwick & PA Kalra. The safety of accelerated infusion versus standard rate infusion of low-molecular-weight iron dextran in patients with chronic kidney disease. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation Plus 2009;2:432–433
- H Eddington, S Sinha*, E Li, J Hegarty, J Ting, B Lane, C Chrysochou, RN Foley, DJ O’Donoghue, PA Kalra & R Middleton. Factors associated with vascular stiffness: Cross-sectional analysis from the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Standards Implementation Study. Nephron Clinical Practice 2009;112:c190-c198
- S Sinha*, D Chiu, G Peebles, S Kolakkat, E Lamerton, S Fenwick & PA Kalra. Comparison of intravenous iron sucrose versus low molecular weight iron dextran in chronic kidney disease Journal of Renal Care 2009;35:67–73
- S Sinha* & DJ O’Donoghue Chapter 13: Metabolic Diseases In: PA Kalra Essential revision notes for MRCP 3rd Edition. Pastest Ltd. 2009: 387-425
- S Sinha*, JLR Williams, H Eddington; C Chrysochou, E Lamerton, C Babbs, A Cowie & PA Kalra. Small Bowel Angiodysplasia in a Patient on Haemodialysis: Difficulties in Diagnosis and Management. BMJ Case Reports 2009; Mar 27 epub
- JL Gallagher, S Sinha*, R Reeve, PA Kalra. Importance of checking anti-glomerular basement membrane antibody status in patients with anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-positive vasculitis. Postgrad Med J. 2008 Apr;84:220–222.
- S Sinha*, H Eddington & PA Kalra. Vascular calcification: lessons from scientific models Journal of Renal Care 2009; 35 Suppl 1:51–6.
- H Eddington, S Sinha, & PA Kalra. Vascular calcification in chronic kidney disease: a clinical review Journal of Renal Care 2009; 35 Suppl 1:45–50.
- C Chrysochou, S Sinha*, N Chalmers, PR Kalra, PA Kalra. Anuric acute renal failure and pulmonary oedema: a case for urgent action. Int J Cardiol. 2009;132:e31–3.