Choose a member of GMANN to view their Bio
BSc Hons (Mcr 1972), MSc Renal Immunology (Mcr 1982)
I am a Principal Clinical Scientist in Renal Research, and currently a member of several research teams who have initiated, obtained funding for, and are carrying out clinically orientated research in the following areas: acute kidney injury in Paediatric Intensive Care, depression and anxiety in advanced renal disease, Dried Blood Spots as a method of sample collection for Renal lab tests, and EBV infection and PTLD post-transplant.
To include: University training, clinical training, experience, research and publication contributions, teaching involvement and membership of relevant organisations.
I was a lab based scientist for most of my career, firstly at the University of Manchester and then at CMFT, developing and applying lab methods to renal research, including immunoassay, molecular techniques, and electrophoresis. My role included the lab supervision of several clinical fellows at MD and PhD level. More recently I have concentrated on developing and writing project protocols, grant applications in new areas of work, applications for ethical and R&D approval, and co-ordination of academic trials. I am co-authoring the manuscript output from these studies.
I am a member of the Renal Association and the British Transplant Soc.
- Ebah LM, Wiig H, Dawidowska I, O’Toole C, Summers A, Nikam M, Jayanti A, Coupes B, Brenchley P, Mitra S. Subcutaneous interstitial pressure and volume characteristics in renal impairment associated with edema. Kidney Int. 2013 Jun 5. doi: 10.1038/ki.2013.208. [Epub ahead of print]
- Morton M, Coupes B, Roberts SA, Klapper PE, Byers RJ, Vallely PJ, Ryan K, Picton ML. Epidemiology of posttransplantation lymphoproliferative disorder in adult renal transplant recipients. Transplantation. 2013 Feb 15;95(3):470-8. doi: 10.1097/TP.0b013e318276a237.
- Ebah L, Brenchley P, Coupes B, Mitra S. A modified in vivo flow variation technique of microdialysis for sampling uremic toxins in the subcutaneous interstitial compartment. Blood Purif. 2011;32(2):96-103. doi: 10.1159/000324207. Epub 2011 Mar 2.
- Harris S, Coupes BM, Roberts SA, Roberts IS, Short CD, Brenchley PE. TGF-beta1 in chronic allograft nephropathy following renal transplantation. J Nephrol. 2007 Mar-Apr;20(2):177-85.
- Jackson M, Ahmad Y, Bruce IN, Coupes B, Brenchley PE. Activation of transforming growth factor-beta1 and early atherosclerosis in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006;8(3):R81. Epub 2006 Apr 28.
- Summers AM, Coupes BM, Brennan MF, Ralph SA, Short CD, Brenchley PE. VEGF -460 genotype plays an important role in progression to chronic kidney disease stage 5. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2005 Nov;20(11):2427-32. Epub 2005 Jul 26.
- Cattran DC, Wald R, Brenchley PE, Coupes B; North American Nephrotic Syndrome Group; Genes, Gender and Glomerulonephritis Group. Clinical correlates of serial urinary membrane attack complex estimates in patients with idiopathic membranous nephropathy. Clin Nephrol. 2003 Jul;60(1):7-12
- Coupes BM, Speake M, Johnson RW, Roberts IS, Campbell B, Short CD. Tacrolimus monotherapy in renal transplantation: four-year data. Transplant Proc. 2002 Aug;34(5):1612-3.
- Gbadegesin RA, Cotton SA, Coupes BM, Awan A, Brenchley PE, Webb NJ. Plasma and urinary soluble adhesion molecule expression is increased during first documented acute pyelonephritis. Arch Dis Child. 2002 Mar;86(3):218-21.
- Brenchley PE, Williams S, Coupes B, Short CD. Strategies for meaningful measurement of circulating levels of transforming growth factor beta1 in clinical samples. Transplantation. 2001 May 15;71(9):1355-6
- Coupes BM, Williams S, Roberts IS, Short CD, Brenchley PE. Plasma transforming growth factor beta(1) and platelet activation: implications for studies in transplant recipients. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2001 Feb;16(2):361-7.
- Kon SP, Coupes B, Short CD, Solomon LR, Raftery MJ, Mallick NP, Brenchley PE. Urinary C5b-9 excretion and clinical course in idiopathic human membranous nephropathy. Kidney Int. 1995 Dec;48(6):1953-8.
- Snowden N, Coupes B, Herrick A, Illingworth K, Jayson MI, Brenchley PE. Plasma TGF beta in systemic sclerosis: a cross-sectional study. Ann Rheum Dis. 1994 Nov;53(11):763-7.
- Coupes BM, Newstead CG, Short CD, Brenchley PE. Transforming growth factor beta 1 in renal allograft recipients. Transplantation. 1994 Jun 27;57(12):1727-31.
- Coupes BM, Kon SP, Brenchley PE, Short CD, Mallick NP. The temporal relationship between urinary C5b-9 and C3dg and clinical parameters in human membranous nephropathy. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1993;8(5):397-401.
- Brenchley PE, Coupes B, Short CD, O’Donoghue DJ, Ballardie FW, Mallick NP. Urinary C3dg and C5b-9 indicate active immune disease in human membranous nephropathy. Kidney Int. 1992 Apr;41(4):933-7.
- Coupes B, Brenchley PE, Short CD, Mallick NP. Clinical aspects of C3dg and C5b-9 in human membranous nephropathy. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1992;7 Suppl 1:32-4
- Short CD, Coupes BM, Brenchley PE, Martin S, Williams S, Johnson RW, Mallick NP, Williams G. Membranous nephropathy: monoclonal IgG and nephrotic-range proteinuria in a renal transplant recipient. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1989;4(12):1080-2.
- Feehally J, Beattie TJ, Brenchley PE, Coupes BM, Mallick NP, Postlethwaite RJ. Response of circulating immune complexes to food challenge in relapsing IgA nephropathy. Pediatr Nephrol. 1987 Oct;1(4):581-6.
- Feehally J, Beattie TJ, Brenchley PE, Coupes BM, Mallick NP, Postlethwaite RJ. Sequential study of the IgA system in relapsing IgA nephropathy. Kidney Int. 1986 Dec;30(6):924-31.
- Feehally J, Brenchley PE, Coupes BM, Mallick NP, Morris DM, Short CD. Impaired IgG response to tetanus toxoid in human membranous nephropathy: association with HLA-DR3. Clin Exp Immunol. 1986 Feb;63(2):376-84.
- Feehally J, Beattie TJ, Brenchley PE, Coupes BM, Houston IB, Mallick NP, Postlethwaite RJ. Modulation of cellular immune function by cyclophosphamide in children with minimal-change nephropathy. N Engl J Med. 1984 Feb 16;310(7):415-20.
- Brenchley P, Feehally J, Doré P, Coupes B, Short CD, Pumphrey RS, Mallick NP. Gm allotypes in membranous nephropathy. N Engl J Med. 1983 Sep 1;309(9):556-7.