Choose a member of GMANN to view their Bio
Dr. Grahame Wood
MB, ChB, FRCP, MD
Consultant Renal Physician / Honorary Lecturer
Salford Royal Foundation Trust
MB ChB Victoria University of Manchester
CCST Renal Medicine and General (Internal) Medicine
MD thesis Victoria University of Manchester
Dr Wood has been a Consultant Renal Physician at Salford since 1999.
He practices in all aspects for kidney disease and has extensive roles in chronic kidney disease, kidney transplantation and live donation and also home haemodialysis.
Memberships of Committees and Professional Bodies
Medical Research Society
British Medical Association
British Hypertension Society
Fellow Royal College of Physicians
British Transplantation Society
Manchester Medical Society
Teaching and Educational Roles
Postgraduate teaching Salford, Wigan and Leigh
Clinical undergraduate teaching
Supervisor final year medical student placements
Clinical supervisor FY1/FY2/ST1/ST2 trainees
CMT Educational Supervisor
Clinical Supervisor clinical fellows and associate specialists
ST3 (Renal) educational supervisor
Lead clinician for renal patient view at Salford
Renal PatientView was launched at SRFT on World Kidney Day in March 2007. It enables patients to view their information from anywhere in the world and share it with anyone they want.
SRFT was the first renal unit on non-Proton system submitting data to RPV. Worked in collaboration with IT department and through the IT Governance Group to enable access for Salford kidney patients. This was a significant challenge and had not been achieved before within the National Program For IT.
Renal patient view aims to provide on-line information for kidney patients about diagnosis, treatment and latest laboratory results. With this patients can:
- Find out about their latest laboratory blood test results
- Read on-line information about their kidney conditions
- Read about renal diets and a host of patient centred information
- Check on transplant listing linking to the United Kingdom TTSA system
- This new system takes information from renal unit computer system and links to useful explanations about kidney conditions and treatment. Information is accessed using a username and password
- The aim is to give patients easier access to information about their conditions. Whether at home, with the GP or on holiday!
It is part of the Renal Information Exchange Group – a group representing renal professional and patient associations interested in healthcare information. It is related to care planning in the Renal National Service Framework Information Strategy.
MD Thesis: Dyslipidaemia and Interstitial Fluid Composition in Renal Disease
MD thesis awarded by Manchester University, working in the University Department of Medicine (Lipoprotein Research Group). Acquired skills in various biochemical techniques, participated in several projects investigating the pathogenesis and treatment of hyperlipidaemia in patients with diabetes mellitus and inherited lipoprotein disorders.
Demonstrated lipid and lipoprotein derangements in patients with renal disease. In particular interstitial fluid composition and aspects of the return of excess cholesterol from tissues to the liver.
While continuing to deliver and develop high quality clinical service remained active in research. Additionally many posters and paper presentations at national and international meetings.
Research activity includes –
SHARP trial CVS risk in kidney patients
CRISIS study of the epidemiology of chronic kidney disease
ASTRAL trial of intervention in renovascular disease
Chief Investigator Study of PA21 a novel phosphate binder in haemodialysis
Co-Investigator Aurora Study of Rosuvastatin in haemodialysis
Co-investigator Dynepo trial new anaemia treatment in haemodialysis
Co-investigator Prims International observational study of EPO safety in kidney patients.
CREATE Trial investigating the impact of early correction of anemia in renal disease on CVS risk
DOPPS international dialysis outcomes registry
ATTOM study: Patient Access to Renal Transplantation
OVERTURE study: Adult Polycystic Kidney Disease Observational Study
BASIC study: National Barriers to Home Haemodialysis
Md Thesis: Dyslipidaemia And Interstitial Fluid Composition In Renal Disease
- Thomas S, Vivancos R, Corless C, Wood G, Beeching NJ, Beadsworth MB. Increasing frequency of Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia in renal transplant recipients in the United Kingdom: clonal variability, clusters, and geographic location. Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Aug 1;53(3):307–8.
- Soran H, Charlton-Menys V, Hegele R, Wang J, Benbow EW, Roberts I, Wood G, Durrington P. Proteinuria and severe mixed dyslipidemia associated with a novel APOAV gene mutation. J ClinLipidol. 2010 Jul–Aug;4(4):310–3.
- Chrysochou C, Manzoor S, Wright J, Roberts SA, Wood G, McDowell G, Kalra PA. Role of renal function and cardiac biomarkers (NT-proBNP and Troponin) in determining mortality and cardiac outcome in atheromatous renovascular disease. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2009;32(5):373–9.
- Chrysochou C, Randhawa H, Reeve R, Waldek S, Wood GN, O'Donoghue DJ, Kalra PA. Determinants of renal functional outcome in lupus nephritis: a single centre retrospective study. QJM. 2008 Apr;101(4):313–6.
- Chiu DY, Whiteside AM, Hegarty J, Wood G, O'Donoghue DJ, Waldek S, Mamtora H, Kalra PA. Epidemiology and investigation of acute abdominal presentations in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2007 May;22(5):1483–4. Epub 2007 Jan 27. 307.
- G N I Wood What I tell my patients about Home Haemodialysis. British Journal of Renal Medicine Vol 11 no 4 2006.
- Farooq V, Hegarty J, Chandrasekar T, Lamerton EH, Mitra S, Houghton JB, Kalra PA, Waldek S, O'Donoghue DJ, Wood GN. Serious adverse incidents with the usage of low molecular weight heparins in patients with chronic kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 2004 Mar;43(3):531–7.
- Serum Troponin T Measurement in Patients with Chronic Renal Impairment Predicts Survival and Vascular Disease: A 2 Year prospective Study. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2003 Aug;18(8):1610–5.
- P N Durrington, M I Mackness, D Bhatnagar, K Julier, H Prais, S Arrol, J Morgan and G N I Wood Effects of two different fibric acid derivatives on lipoproteins, cholesteryl ester transfer, fibrinogen, plasminogen activator inhibitor and paraoxonase activity in type IIbhyperlipoproteinaemia. Atherosclerosis. 1998 May; 138(1): 217–225.
- M I Mackness, B Mackness, S Arrol, G N I Wood, D Bhatnagar and P N Durrington. Presence of paraoxonase in human interstitial fluid. Federation of European Biochemical Society 1997 Oct 27; 416(3): 377–380.
- G N I Wood. Treatment of hyperlipidaemia of nephrotic syndrome with HMG CoA reductase inhibitors. Risk 1996 vol 4: 1.
- G N I Wood. Intracompartmental shifts of lipid and lipoproteins in patients with renal disease. Journal of Nephrology. vol. 9 no. 3 1996.
- G N I Wood, P A Kalra, H Mamtora, S Waldek, D J O’Donoghue. A febrile patient with a renal space-occupying lesion evolving into renal abscess: acute focal bacterial nephritis. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1995; 10(7): 1248–1250.
- G N I Wood. Cardiovascular Risk in Renal Disease. Risk 1995 vol 3: 1 4–10
- Kalra P A, Wood G N I, O’Donoghue D J, Mamtora H, Routledge R, Armstrong G, Sinnot P J, Jos V, Johnson R W G and Waldek S. Complete regression of recurrent diffuse malignant lymphoma after withdrawal of cyclosporin A in a renal transplant recipient. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1994; 9(8): 1197–1200.
- P A Kalra, M Cooklin, G N I Wood, G O’Shea, A M Holmes. Dietary modification as cause of anticoagulation instability. Lancet. 1988 Oct 1; 2(8614): 803.
Salford Royal Hospital
0161 206 5710
0161 206 5713